Water Propagation is an inexpensive way to multiply your houseplants collection. It is a fun and enjoyable process to watch the stem cuttings root. In this blog post, we would show you how to water propagate and share valuable tips for you to succeed.
Let's Start Off with 3 Basic Rule:
1. Change the water weekly (at least once or twice a week).
2. Provide indirect light and keep it moist.
3. The cutting must have a node (where the leaf meets the stem) or roots in order to propagate. An example is shown below.
How to Water Propagate from Stem Cuttings:
1. Take the cutting by snipping 3 to 5 inches near a node (where the leaf meets the stem). You can choose to take multiple cuttings from a single long vine. Next, ensure to remove any leaves that will be below the surface of the water. This will help to keep your water stay cleaner for longer and avoid it from rotting.
2. Once done, submerge the lower nodes into water. If possible, I like to have more bottom nodes as it increases the number of roots. Try to keep only 1-2 top leaves are necessary as it allows sufficient photosynthesis for a new root to grow without using the energy from the cuttings to sustain existing leave.
(Photograph via @catfromgermany)
3. Lastly, patiently wait until the roots are about 2-3 inches long before potting it up. Your cutting will be ready when you gently tug on the stem and you find resistance. Now, be gentle and carefully remove the cutting and re-pot it as soon as possible.
Pro Tip: Join the party! Be part of a plant related Facebook group or community such as Crazy Indoor Plant People Australia (C.I.P.P.A), Houseplant lovers and so on. There are many plant lovers who would love to exchange stem cuttings of different houseplants to propagate. It is one of the best ways to learn and grow your houseplants collection without burning a hole in your pocket.
List of Plants That Are Easy To Propagate For Beginners:
- Golden Pothos
- Spider Plant
- Jade Plant
- Jewel Orchid
- String of Pearls
- String of Hearts
- Star Jasmine
Propagate In Style: Are you a fan of interior designing? Interior design is the art and science of enhancing the interior of a building to achieve a healthier and aesthetically pleasing environment for people to use the space. However, colour and designs are often the most challenging part to get right. Ever had problems looking the "Perfect" planter or propagation stations to match your space? Fret not, we have solutions for you!
Check out our aesthetic yet elegant propagation stations that would suit any interior space now!
Pro Tip: Follow plant lovers on Instagram and get involved in the house plant community. As there are often Giveaway which sometimes includes rare stem cuttings such as variegated monstera and pink princess philodendron. You can start by following some of them: @wanderlushinterior, @houseplantplantclub, @jessicajungle, @idrinkandigrowthings, @ohiotropics, @houseplantcommunity and @planterina.
Don't forget to share the love by giving away your stem cuttings once you're an expert! That's all for now. Happy propagating!
Still having trouble with your houseplants?